At St Joseph’s, through the English curriculum, we aim to:
- Ensure that all pupils can read fluently and show a clear understanding of what they have read.
- Ensure that all pupils can write clearly and coherently for a range of purposes and audiences
. · Ensure that all pupils can share, explain and listen to each other’s ideas, by incorporating discussion into their English learning journeys.
- Ensure that through their reading, pupils obtain a wide range of vocabulary that they can confidently use in their spoken language and written work.
- Ensure that all pupils experience a wide range of genres and authors, encouraging them to acquire a love of reading.
- Ensure that all pupils receive a well-balanced English curriculum.
- Ensure that each teacher provides pupils with a consistent approach to English teaching.
- Ensure that all pupils are given the opportunity to extend their English knowledge and skills through cross-curricular opportunities.