Parish History

Ampleforth origins

John Bolton was born to Robert & Alice Bolton of Brindle on July 6th 1735. He joined the St Lawrence, Dieulouard, community taking the monastic name Anselm. He was sent to the English mission in 1763 and, by 1764, was chaplain to Lord Fairfax at Gilling Castle, Yorkshire.

In 1783, he bought a cottage, Ampleforth Lodge, and some land so his successors would be independent of the Gilling estate.

When he learned that his community were still seeking a permanent home, he made Ampleforth Lodge over to them. So, in 1802, Prior Anselm Appleton was joined by other monks to establish the Monastery which grew into Ampleforth Abbey as it stands today.

Let's Connect

St Joseph's Catholic Primary School

50 Bournes Row,
Gregson Lane,
Danielle Dewhurst
01254 853473 [email protected]